August 28, 2015
Gift Card Purchasers Adopt eGifts
Gift cards remain the most popular and coveted gift for all occasions with a vast majority of the population having given or received a gift card in the last year. In early 2015, Blackhawk Network surveyed approximately 2,000 Americans to examine their usage of gift cards and adoption of and sentiments towards egifts, which are virtual cards delivered to recipients via email, social media or text message. eGifts can be redeemed in-store, online or via mobile devices.
“Our shopper data confirms that mobile and digital acceptance has extended to gift cards. Consumers are increasing their overall purchase of gift cards because they now have more control over the format for delivery and the speed of purchase, plus a wide selection of gift cards and egifts,” said Teri Llach, chief marketing officer for Blackhawk Network.
Several key findings from the study revealed:
- Immediate gratification and convenience drive egift sales
- eGift redemption is not just online
- Significant opportunities for retailers to drive revenue with egift
- eGifts popular for a variety of gifting occasions and self-use
- More promotion of egift is needed to drive initial trial